Military and Veteran Benefit Services

Military and Veteran Benefit Services

The Military and Veteran Benefit Services office is your liaison to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for certification of your veteran and veteran related education benefits. We encourage all students who are eligible for G.I. Bill® benefits to visit our office prior to enrolling so that we may provide important information and assistance in the proper filing of required forms. 

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at


Certification Requirements for All Chapters

To receive education benefits, you must be “certified,” to be eligible for the benefits by the Veteran Education School Certifying Officer in the Registrar’s office. The certification process can take up to a month or more, so it is best to begin this process early.

Initial Certification

Your first step is to submit your initial application for benefits electronically to the Veterans Administration. Initial application procedures can be found at Once the application has been submitted, you will receive a “Certificate of Eligibility” from the Veteran’s Administration (normally within approximately two to four weeks of submitting your initial application online). Email a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to  for further processing. If you have specific questions regarding the type of education program you are eligible for or application procedures, please contact the US Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551, or go the USDVA website at

Continued Benefit Certification

For continued receipt of VA education benefits throughout your academic career, you will be required to complete a Veterans Request for Certification Form for each semester. The Veterans Request for Certification form is available under VA Student Forms.

Chapter 30, 1606 recipients

Once you are certified for your benefits, you must verify your enrollment with the VA at the end of each calendar month before you will receive your payment for that month. To verify enrollment, go to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or call 1-877-823-2378.

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) Recipients

Once you are certified for your benefits, you must verify your enrollment with the VA at the end of each calendar month before you will receive your payment for that month. You can verify enrollment via text message or by calling the Education Call Center (ECC) at 1-888-442-4551. The ECC can also help you opt into text verification. The VA strongly recommends verifying enrollment via text.

Credit Hour Requirements (applies to Chapters 30, 31, 35, and 1606)

Education benefits are based on student enrollment status (e.g. full-time, half-time, etc.) To receive the maximum benefit, you must be enrolled as a full-time student. Part-time benefit rates are reduced proportionately. See the GI Bill Education Benefit Payment Rates website for current rates.

Undergraduate Students



Fall/Spring/8-Week Term



12 Credit Hours

6 Credit Hours

3/4 Time

9-11 Credit Hours

4-5 Credit Hours

1/2 Time

6-8 Credit Hours

3 Credit Hours

< 1/2 Time

< 6 Credit Hours

under 3 Credit Hours


Students enrolled less than half-time qualify to receive a lump sum payment. Students enrolled quarter-time or less are eligible for a reimbursement of tuition and fees (not including books and supplies) not to exceed ¼ of the full-time rate. Monthly checks are based on the prorated monthly rate of payment and training time pursued.

Class Attendance

Dropping/withdrawing from classes and changes in original enrollment schedules can also affect payments received for education benefits. Before making any schedule changes, it is important to first consult the Veterans Benefits Services office in order to avoid/lessen the potential financial impact. All changes to your enrollment MUST BE REPORTED to the School Certifying Officer, Stacey Foster.

Non-degree Status

You may be able to receive education benefits for up to two semesters, not to exceed nine credit hours, as a degree-seeking student who has not yet declared an academic major. At the conclusion of that second term, you will be required to officially declare a degree/major with the college. Failure to declare a degree/major prohibits future enrollment certifications to the VA. Contact the Veterans Benefits Services office for additional information and specific procedures required.

Contact Military and Veteran Benefit Services:

Stacey Foster
VA School Certifying Officer
Phone: 405-382-9510