Title: TRiO Tutor
Department/Division: TRiO Programs
Date Prepared: February 2, 2016
Reports To:TRiO Directors
A TRiO tutor provides academic assistance to 6th – 12th grade participants during or after school and / or to Student Support Services participants on campus.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represents Seminole State College and the TRiO Programs in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our services, learns and uses operating practice of Seminole State College.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Seminole State College empowers people for academic success, personal development, and lifelong learning.
- Performs job duties utilizing SSC’s core values: Compassion, Opportunity, Respect, and Excellence.
- Handles confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Provides individual and / or group tutoring to students as required and assigned.
- Assists students in developing competency in course work.
- Provides one-on-one support and encouragement to help the student develop an increased sense of confidence and become an independent learner. Keeps records of students tutored, including time sheets and tutorial records.
- Participates in tutor orientation / training sessions and attend scheduled staff meetings
- Evaluates student progress at each session and provides reports to their TRiO supervisor
- Consults with parents to assess pre-college students’ need.
- Maintains a quiet environment conducive to studying.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other functions as necessary or as assigned.
- Some travel is required (within the service area).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge: Proficiency in subject area to be tutored. Excellent written and oral communications skills required. College-level tutors must have 12 hours of college credit and must have successfully completed any course for which they are providing instruction
- Skills: Possess strong organizational, time management, and human relations skills, and excellent written communication skills. Tutorial experience and / or training and computer literacy preferred. Experience working in an educational environment also preferred.
- Abilities: Position requires the ability to coach students on how to complete their assignments, prepare for tests, and improve study habits.
Tutors are paid an hourly rate commensurate with education and experience. Applications are available in the TRiO Offices, Room 107. Completed applications should be returned to the TRiO Offices or mailed to the address below. Please provide a current high school and / or college transcript with your completed application. Availability of positions varies throughout the academic year and summer session.
Seminole State College
ATTN: TRiO Programs
P.O. Box 351
Seminole, OK 74818
SSC is an EEO employer committed to multicultural diversity.
SSC participates in E-verify.