Title: NASNTI Coaching Specialist
Date Prepared: July 11, 2017
Reports To: NASNTI Director
Classification: Professional Staff
The Coaching Specialist will be responsible for assisting high-need students with life transitions, by providing services designed to help students understand and overcome personal, social, or behavioral problems that are affecting their educational growth. Implement a peer-mentoring program designed to assist students by providing a support system as they adjust to college challenges. Recruits, hires, and provides supervision for mentors and coordinate services with the NASNTI tutoring program.
- Under general direction/supervision of the NASNTI Director, works in a team environment to ensure grant objectives are met in a timely manner.
- The main responsibilities of the position is to coach students by assessing student’s need and crafting a plan for improvement in order to help students achieve their goals
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represent Seminole State College in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our services, learns and uses operating practice of Seminole State College.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Seminole State College empowers people for academic success, personal development, and lifelong learning.
- Performs job duties utilizing SSC’s C.O.R.E Four: Compassion, Opportunity, Respect, and Excellence.
- Handles confidential student information with tact and discretion. Student information is defined as demographical, assessment scores, grades, classroom misconduct and other personal information that might be shared in confidence.
- Provide entry level assistance to students regarding the SSC admissions processes which include; application, test referral, course placement, enrollment, degree planning, career exploration, and information regarding the NASNTI and other grant programs.
- Design, implement, and supervise a mentoring program that will assist students with life transitions designed to help them balance school, work, and family.
- Work closely with members of the campus community and within the Jenzabar SIS system in order to identify students that are in need of coaching services.
- Provide consultation services with students, determine priorities, and assess student issues. Craft a plan for improvement, assign a mentor, track and document student progress.
- Meet with clients regularly in order to supervise progress toward students’ plan for improvement.
- Prepare students for later educational experiences by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
- Must be able to respond effectively to the needs of a diverse and demanding student population.
- Develop a resource manual for student’s which should include: educational, tribal, and social service information for the five-counties in the SSC service area.
- Coordinate with the NASNTI Program Director and Student Services staff to ensure the coaching and peer mentoring components are institutionalized.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Must be able to interpret and explain information to students regarding standardized test scores such as SAT, ACT, COMPASS, and ASSET.
- Supervise, train, and develop mentoring schedules, session topics, and weekly meetings.
- Some overnight and weekend travel is required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge: Master’s degree required in Counseling, Education, or related field. Two years’ experience working with Native American, first-generation, high-need minority students preferred and/or comes from a background similar to our target population. Minimum 2 years’ experience working as counselor or advisor in postsecondary setting preferred.
- Skills: Create, manipulate and utilize spreadsheets, word processing programs, and publishing programs. Both verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Abilities: Meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, coordinating resources, and the ability to present to small or large groups.
Application review will begin immediately. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Benefits provided by the college include Oklahoma Teachers’ Retirement, group health and dental insurance, and life insurance equivalent to contract salary. A tax-sheltered annuity wherein the college contributes 3.5% of any employee’s annual salary is available after one year of employment. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
To apply, please send letter of application, resume, copies of all academic transcripts, and three professional references to:
Seminole State College
ATTN: Human Resources
P.O. Box 351
Seminole, OK 74818
SSC is an AA/EEO employer committed to multicultural diversity.
SSC participates in E-verify.
Posted July 11, 2017