Title: Adjunct Sociology Instructor
Department/Division: Social Sciences Division
Date Prepared: 2/24/2015
Reports To: Social Sciences Division Chair
Classification: Adjunct Faculty
The position requires a Master's degree and 18 credit hours of graduate study in Sociology or a closely related discipline. Applicants with a Bachelor's degree and less than 18 graduate hours in the field may be considered providing there is evidence that graduate study in the field is ongoing. Professional experience in the field of study and teaching experience are also preferred. Teaching assignments may include day, evening, and weekend courses taught using face-to-face and online delivery systems. Adjunct positions are considered temporary, semester by semester assignments contingent upon need and the recommendation of the Division Chair.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represent Seminole State College in a manner that reflects positively on the institution.
- Empower people for academic success, personal development, and lifelong learning. Perform duties in a manner that is consistent with SSC's core values of compassion, opportunity, respect, and excellence.
- Follow SSC Board Policy and administrative procedures.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Engage students in assigned courses while displaying professionalism, subject matter expertise, and teaching skills.
- Utilize LMS (Learning Management Systems) including, but not limited to posting of syllabi and communication with students.
- Utilize the adopted textbook(s) for each course assigned. Utilize the division course syllabus, curriculum and materials when provided.
- Provide opportunity for student consultation through office appointments and LMS.
- Maintain accurate classroom records including course syllabi and grade books.
- Submit required forms and reports including course embedded assessment results and grades within the prescribed time frame.
- Other duties as assigned.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide division with current contact information (email and cell or home telephone number).
- Respond to all email and voicemail in a timely manner.
- Continue to develop skills and knowledge base through professional development.
- Return keys, course materials, and grade books at the end of each semester.
- Communicate with Division Chair and Division Secretary as soon as possible about class plans in your absence.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- The position requires a Master’s degree and 18 graduate hours in discipline being taught. Professional experience in field of study and teaching experience preferred.
- Adjuncts should be knowledgeable in using Microsoft Office (proficient with PowerPoint and Word), and have a working knowledge of instructional technology (i.e. SmartBoard and Learning Management System)
- Adjuncts must have a working home phone or cell number with voice mail or email.
- Adjuncts must have the ability to:
- Teach in assigned buildings and classrooms on campus or at offsite locations.
- Follow all SSC College, Academic Affairs, and Divisional policies and procedures.
To apply, send letter of application stating qualified areas of teaching, resumé with names and telephone numbers of three references, and all academic transcripts to:
Seminole State College
ATTN: Human Resources
P.O. Box 351
Seminole, OK 74818
SSC is an AA/EEO employer committed to multicultural diversity.
SSC participates in E-verify.
Posted March 2, 2015